Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Strategic Planning

There are some skills that are taught in school. Others you have to learn for yourself.

When I graduated from seminary, I was filled with idealism, as any young person should be.  Yet as I manned a desk at the adult education program where I worked, and served part-time as a pastor of a Hispanic congregation, I quickly realized that few were interested in my global aspirations.  And I myself realized quite quickly that vision alone could not change either myself or the people or institutions around me. I needed the means to do so.

At the same time, I was repeatedly exposed to those very means. During my last few months at the seminary, I dreamed up a program that I dubbed “The Presidential Intern Program.” A lofty name, for sure, but it was really just a cover to let me hang around the seminary’s executive team for 3 months. After months of interviews, and even a sneak peak at a confidential board meeting, I realized that all these leaders had a common language. They all had “strategic plans.” 

As the current VP of development explained, “Strategic simply means that your future plans are trying to accomplish a stated purpose.” Strategic was the opposite of random and reactive. Being strategic simply meant that we had a clear idea of where we wanted to go and how we were going to get there.

One of my favorite professors at Denver Seminary, Gary Hoag, now president of Generosity Monk, has been coaching me monthly on spiritual leadership and strategic planning. Under his tutelage, he’s shown me that strategic planning is far easier than I once thought. It’s basically composed of three parts all of which are trying to accomplish a vision or goal: (1) strategic initiatives, (2) objectives, and (3) tactics.  Step 1: Pick 3-7 major areas, strategic initiatives, that you need to accomplish your vision for the year. Step 2: Select objectives that you believe will accomplish those broad initiatives. And step 3: make for yourself measurable action steps, “tactics”, that you’ll use to chart future progress toward major goals.

This three step process may sound boring, but in my two years after graduation, I’ve had the chance to quietly observe a bevy of organizations. And I can honestly say that those (schools included) who have a strategic plan tend to be purposeful and successful over the long haul. Those that don’t tend to be ruled by the urgency of the moment and the latest, greatest idea, only to see it fizzle out after a couple of months.  Good, long term planning, often called “strategic planning” is, many times, the difference between high performing schools and the mediocre.

Strategic planning, as it is now practiced, is an invention of post WWII American business culture. Walter Kiechel III made this case in his book Lords of Strategy.  So, it’s safe to safe that the idea is not necessarily Christian. It is a temporary tool to get things done. 

Having said that, we should not forget that Jesus’ life and ministry was laden with clear purpose.  Many times he told his disciples, “The Son of Man will be betrayed by the Pharisees and teachers of law. He will be killed and raised again on the third day.” Jesus’ eyes were resolutely fixed in Jerusalem.  He knew what he had to do.  And as has breathed his last breath, he triumphantly declared, “It is finished.” Mission accomplished.  I am in the darkness, they are in the light.  I am punished, they are rewarded. I am dying, they will live forever.   Salvation has been won.

Christianity is a worldview that sees God on a mission. His purposes to redeem humanity from the moment of the Fall never faltered. From Ur to Patmos, God is moving history to its redemptive ends. He is focused on the goal: the redemption of all things in the New Jerusalem.

Strategic planning is not a necessity for all ministries. But leaders in God’s mission had better have a clear idea of where they’re going. God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment