Saturday, July 9, 2011

Strategic Planning - A Class for the IDEAL Institute

Tonight I begin writing class lectures on the topic of strategic planning for the IDEAL Institute at Denver Seminary. I do not propose any complex, convoluted methodology, nor do I expect to accomplish much by way of innovation. I simply will lay out my story. I will tell the tale of a young student, filled to the brim with ideas and visions, ye emptied like a tin can of the ability to accomplish those visions.

I will speak of the problems we find in both ourselves and our organizations.
Motion, but no progress; everything urgent, nothing enduring; leadership characterized by the random and reactive, and not the intentional and the wise; the presence of frustration that “I’m the only one pulling here” and the nagging doubt of whether we are doing anything of lasting value.

I will tell also of the benefits that are crowned upon the thoughtful planner. Much action in one direction, which leads to visible results; the urgent being redefined around the truly important; greater effectiveness through measurable results; and the joy of building a system designed for many to work together to accomplish a single, God-given end.

I will declare also the God who plans. The God who planned the story of salvation before the beginning of time (Eph 1:9-10); The God who plans for the good of the broken-hearted (Jer 29:11), and the God who calls us to plan and conform our plans to His (Pro. 16:3).

I will define the words “strategic planning” as a guide for future action, a process clarifying organizational aims, a philosophy of contemplation of the future, and a structure for an organization that forms the basis for an organization’s actions. It is a map and a bridge to tomorrow.

I will also warn of the potential arrogance of planning an uncertain future, and not to trust in man’s bravado, but instead to trust in the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth.

I will lay out two simple models for strategic planning. The first model is “Simple Strategic Planning for Individuals and Small Groups.” This model, which works for individuals who simply want to become more effective, or for leaders of small groups, simply lays out a simple purpose for your action, and sets three conceptual levels of plans: objectives, strategies, and tactics. Objectives are enduring, and form the basic result areas deriving from your mission. Strategies are creative ways to accomplish those objectives based on the best information available to you. And tactics are objective, measure, and time-sensitive tasks that make their way onto your calendar. Upon forming the plan, one must implement the plan and review it each quarter and year for accountability and evaluation.

I will also propose a second model: “Simple Strategic Planning for Small and Medium-Sized Organizations.” This model, as opposed to being the territory only of an individual, involves all the stake-holders in an organization to ensure ownership. It too involves the formation of a clear purpose, objectives, strategies and tactics. But it is formed through several group meetings, whereby brainstorming and strategy formulation is a joint venture.

I will also implore my students to become organized themselves as I hand to the “A Simple Guide to Personal Time Management.” Strategic plans are nothing if they are not implemented in every day’s work. From annual plans, one’s personal calendar must be shaped by strategic monthly, weekly, and daily priorities, not on the tyranny of the urgent.

And I will pray with my students as I endeavor, with fear and trembling, to outline spiritual side of strategic planning, which calls for a quiet heart and a desire to pray daily. Ultimately, the plans of the Lord endure forever.

This I plan to do for my Spanish-speaking students at IDEAL, most of whom are bi-vocational pastors or lay ministers in immigrant churches in Denver. Indeed, what a privilege it is to teach. What a delight it is to learn. What a joy it is to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment